It’s hard for anyone to get into an exercise routine and stick to it. For moms, it may seem nearly impossible with all of the responsibilities they have to take care of.
From running to appointments, dropping little ones off at school or daycare, and balancing work and home tasks, there is often little time left for moms to have for themselves.
Here are some tips so moms can make time to exercise in their routines:
- 1Sweat before the sunrise. Maybe not literally, but if you start your day with a workout, you have the rest of the day to tackle your to-do list. If you don’t prioritize your workouts, the day might slip by and it can be difficult to stick to a routine. Another reason to work out first thing is that your kids may not be awake by the time you’re done!
- 2Block your time. Mark your calendar for your work out. If you block out a time to get to the gym, you’re more likely to stick to it once it’s written down. Plus, if you plan your workout, then you won’t have to waste any time before your scheduled “appointment.”
- 3Wear whatever is comfortable. Even though you may have so many cute leggings to choose from, don’t waste time on picking the perfect outfit for your workout. As long as you’re comfortable, that’s all that matters! You can even sleep in your workout clothes if you plan on working out first thing in the morning.
- 4Include your kids. If you find that you’re having a hard time to make time for yourself, include your kids in your workouts! Children love to move, so you can give them instructions to follow what you’re doing and you get to get your exercise in. Plus, you’re setting an example to get them to move as they grow as well. It can be a great bonding experience as they get older.
- 5Don’t get down on yourself. At the end of the day, you are the one who matters. If you can’t find the time to get a workout in, don’t beat yourself up. If you feel like you need a day of rest, take it! Though exercise increases endorphins (chemicals that make you happy), sometimes you just need a day to yourself.
The most important thing to remember about getting workouts in is to create a routine and stick to it. But if there’s a day that you can’t fit it into your schedule, that’s okay.
If you think you’re interested in setting a routine for yourself and don’t know where to start, sign up for a free phone consultation for personal training with our physical therapist!